Category: Redbrick History
- 20th - New direct attached storage array arrives. Named
Worf, to get back at
lil_cain for giving us 2 years of
machines. Since it doesn't actually have a
hostname, this won't matter though.
- 20th - B4 is "modified" to take extra serial
ports. Pictures to be posted to seeifixedit.com soon. Still in
infinitely better condition then the machine it's replacing
- 1st - Redbrick Members go to England and find that everything is
cheaper. (Case in point: Burger, chips and a Vodka + coke for £4.95)
- 2nd - Travelling members go to Bletchley Park and are amazed by the
whole place, also Craig Gavagan Mac Entee ( credak ) discovers that
Alan Turing was Gay. credak is interested enough to investigate
more. Later that night, Brickies congregate in Craig's room and
make enough noise to annoy an uppity German across the hall, Chris
gets his hair straightened and has make up put on him.
- 3rd - Brickies return from England, flight is delayed by about a
half hour due to delayed flight coming from Dublin.
- 5th - Redbrick goes down in order to move user files to the new
faster storage array (Worf), logins return
around 9 while web server remains down for a bit longer. Users gain
more space for
- 16th - Lotta Mikkonnen (Attol), David
Glennon (Azrael) and Craig Gavagan Mac
Entee (Credak) man the Redbrick
Refreshers Day table and attract ~6/7 new people.
Credak voluntarily spends most of the
day in the infamous brick mascot.
- 16th - Virtual machines are made available on a
this-will-probably-asplode-at-any-moment-alpha basis. It rapidly
begins asploding, but it's a huge step in
the right direction.
- 20th - Linux is put back on Murphy. Redbrick
is free from Solaris \o/
- 26th-28th - Redbrick visit Skynet to attend a series of talks.
Speakers include Matt Zimmerman, David Coallier and Laura
Czajkowski. Terran(Skynet) takes GW, Attol and Spanza on a tour of
Limerick. Not much sleep is had on the nights due to partying and
chatting. Tyrion(Skynet) abuses "Kevin". A random drunk dude who
wandered into our booth in Costelloe's to have a nap. Maiden
parties on down with Skynetters
- 2nd - Admin training for 2010 begins with a session on shell
scripting presented by Andrew Harford.
- 8th - Start of Tech Week 2010:
Monday, 1PM - Hackerspaces, Jeffrey Roe
Monday, 8PM - Launch party, Nubar
Tuesday, 6PM - Game Programming,
Tuesday, 7PM - Django,
Tuesday, 8PM - Film, Strange Things
Wednesday, 2PM - Past Multimedia Projects, Declan Tuite
Wednesday, 4PM - Build Your Own PC,
Wednesday, 5PM - QZar
Thursday, 6PM - Sustainable Computing,
Thursday, 7PM - Ubuntu Ireland Community, Laura Czjakowski
Thursday, 8PM - Strange Things Quiz
Robot`` ``Wars,`` ``NUIG
- The Annual Redbrick Table Quiz was held, Prizes were 1st External
Hard Drives, 2nd Sega Mega Drives, 3rd Nerf Guns, The raffle prize
of a Dell Mini 10v was won by Andrew Harford. Debate Soc came first,
- 15th - Annual AGM is held in CG04 with an amazing turnout.
Resolution to reduce Helpdesk from three people to two people passes
by a clear majority. Elections were held and the new committee was
Lotta Mikkonen (attol) was the only candidate and was elected by a show of hands
Nina Hanzlikova (geekity) was the only candidate and was elected by a show of hands
Emma Gallagher (emma) was the only candidate and was elected by a show of hands
Carri Fuery (carri) was the only candidate and was elected by a show of hands
James Reilly (fun) and Seamus Ronan (train) ran, both were elected
Craig Gavagan Mac Entee (creadak) was the only candidate and was elected by a show of hands
Paul Bunbury (bunbun) and Shane Stacey (isaac702) ran, both were elected.
The First Year Rep, Treasurer and the Third Admin will be elected at an
EGM in October.
- 12th - Servers are taken offline to prepare for the move to our new
server room. Minerva,
Morpheus and Worf are
moved to ISS's server room in the library to maintain services
during the downtime. The brick is "accidentally" destroyed in the
process. Meeting room 3 becomes Redbrick storage.
- 26th - Minerva,
Morpheus and Worf are
brought back online in their new home. Normal services are restored.
- 16th - A new brick (costume) is created. It awaits a red covering of
- 20th-24th - Orientation Week in DCU. Redbrick sets up a table in the
hub. Heisenberg is put on show. Fun's
laptop is used to show off Redbrick's services. Spam ensues in
#lobby. Red paper is used to cover the brick as a stop gap
solution, isaac702 models it.
- 23rd - Our new server room is cleaned and organized. Meeting room 3
is no longer used as Redbrick storage.
- 4th - Air-conditioning malfunctions in the server room.
Data, Daniel and
Carbon are temporarily taken offline.
- 5th/6th - Clubs and Societies days. The 16th generation of redbrick
members register. Ceiling Cat is brought out running a copy of the
unreleased Redbrick Ubuntu 10.4. Fun's laptop is setup as a bridge
to give Ceiling Cat access to the internet. DCU's LDAP server goes
down. Panic ensues. Redbrick gains its 7000th member.
- 7th - The Introduction to Redbrick tutorial is held. Followed by the
Redbrick freshers ball in the Slipper. Attendance is decent at both.
Cake is eaten.
- 13th - EGM is held in QG21. Elections for the positions of
Treasurer, Events Officer, Admin and First year rep are held.
First Year Rep:
Dave Larkan (tziegler) and Micheal Daly (mdaly) both ran. tziegler was elected by a show of hands.
Conor Forde (fordy) was the only candidate and was elected by a show of hands.
Aisling Mulholland (crash) was the only candidate and was elected by a show of hands.
Gautam Wadhwa (gw) and Austin Halpin (haus) both ran. haus was elected by a secret ballet.
- 18th - Redbrick goes to the cinema (The Social Network) as its
second Monday Social Night. Subsidized tickets are quickly
allocated. Many more arrive for the event.
- 19th - Linux install-fest takes place in LG26. Fun demonstrates. A
surprisingly large number of people turn up to install Linux. Grub 2
- 30th - Redbrick is taken offline as power testing takes place in the
hub. Redbrick withdrawal symptoms set in amongst members due to the
- 3rd - Redbrick's servers are brought back online as power testing
in the hub is completed.
- 11th - Redbrick is taken offline due to maintenance to the power
systems in the hub.
- 14th - Redbrick's servers are brought back online as maintenance to
the system's in the hub is completed. Uptime is announced.
- 1st onwards - Adverse weather conditions (Snow) curtail DCU's
opening times and result in the cancellation of many Clubs and
- 8th - The annual Christmas party is held in the Slipper with
Booksoc, LGBT, Airsoft, Strange Things and GamesSoc.
- 12th - This years set of Redbrick Hoodies arrive.